Is the ShoreLock™ process purely chemical, physical, or both?
- The general process is purely chemical. ShoreLock™ works by promoting an interaction between sand and water molecules. The result is a beach that retains a microscopic layer of fresh water so that better cohesiveness is maintained. ShoreLock™ is applied directly to an existing beach. The beach will “grow” over time through a natural accretion of sand. However, there are some instances where it is practical to import sand and pre-treat that sand with ShoreLock™. For this type of application, ShoreLock™ is specifically formulated to blend with the imported sand in order to ensure maximum performance and interactions between the native and imported sand.
What is the detailed description of the process?
- Prior to any project, our team of scientists and coastal engineers conduct all necessary baseline surveys in accordance with requirements of local, state, and federal regulatory agencies. The data is then analyzed and the necessary amount of ShoreLock™ is custom-manufactured to account for subtle differences in sand composition as well as water chemistry in order to maximize performance.
- During the application process, ShoreLock™ (in powdered form) is mixed with water onsite, and then distributed throughout the beach by means of covered trenches, directional boring equipment, or direct push machinery. The wave action and tidal fluctuation mixes the product with the sand. Applications are typically spread 30-45 days apart and spaced over a 4-5 month period, depending on the environment and desired results.
- Topographical data, marine resouces, and sand and water chemistry are monitored throughout the entire process until project completion.
Can all types of beach sand be treated with ShoreLock™?
Is it necessary to survey a beach prior to applications?
- Yes. Topographical, historical, marine resources, dune vegetation resources, coastal currents, and wind data, are all surveyed and analyzed throughout every project.
Is it possible to use ShoreLock™ on urban beaches? Is it harmful to environmental or/and human health?
- It is safe to use ShoreLock™ on ANY beach, and in any environment. ShoreLock™ is made of all GRAS (Generally Recognized As Safe) components, and offers no danger or harmful effects to people, or the environment.
- ShoreLock™, and its effect on the environment has been extensively studied. Because our approach is novel and proprietary, we have taken all necessary precautions to ensure that all data collection has been in compliance with all US regulations for applications in a coastal environment. Furthermore, all projects are overseen by the Scientific Advisory Counsel (SAC), an independently-appointed panel of scientists, expert engineers, and oceanographers who have final and impartial authority over issues as they relate to the safety and environmental impacts of any project. SAC reports and recommendations are completely transparent to the client.
Does a beach need to be closed for application of ShoreLock™?
- Usually not. Because there is very little disturbance to the beach, ShoreLock™ can be applied after regular hours, or small portions of the beach can be closed down for short intervals at a time.
Is it safe for people to use the beach when ShoreLock™ has been applied to it?
- Yes. It is completely safe for people and animals to be on the beach, even immediately after an application.
Is there a time of year more suitable for ShoreLock™ treatment?
- Yes, ideally summer months offer more favorable conditions and more available sand for capturing from the water. Traditionally, winter storms erode coastlines and natural accretion takes place during the summer months.
- Hurricane season, which runs from June to November, may seem like an exception to this rule; however, if ShoreLock™ is initiated prior to a hurricane, our treated beaches have been able to withstand even a Category IV strength storm with minimal sand loss (see project details for Middle Caicos, www.hydroscoastal.com/projects.html).
Is there a maintenance plan for ShoreLock™ ?
- One of the major benefits of our technology is the sustainability of the results. ShoreLock™ technology reverts the beach to a natural, healthy state and the results are easily maintained withreasonably-priced maintenance packages.
Is it necessary to build any marine barriers or structures during or following a ShoreLock™ treatment?
- No. ShoreLock™ stabilizes the beach naturally and provides protection without the necessity of barriers or other costly structures.