Hydros Coastal Solutions propriety beach sand stabilizing agent, ShoreLock™, has undergone years of research and development and is currently being utilized by world-class coastal resorts and property management companies throughout the Caribbean. ShoreLock™ treatment is superior to current methods of beach renourishment and coastline repair because it offers the only non-intrusive, scientifically-engineered, and eco-friendly solution to coastal erosion. ShoreLock™ re-establishes sand’s hydrophilic properties and natural cohesive forces while using wave energy and tidal changes to further capture the oceans nearshore suspended sand resulting in rapid accretion.
In addition, offshore application of a specifically engineered form of ShoreLock™ also dramatically reduces turbidity and fills in erosion trenches. The results of these applications are decreased wave energy and an improved natural buffer against dangerous rip currents.
ShoreLock™ can also be used together with other components to a beach restoration project to greatly compliment and enhance a projects overall effectiveness and sustainability, such as with dredging, dune restorations, and nearshore structures, i.e. groynes and breakwaters.
Product preparation is handled at our production facility in the United States. The finished products are transported to project locations throughout the world. High-powered mixing and drying equipment is used to ensure product quality and consistency.
Quality assurance and quality control are our primary focus, and Hydros Coastal Solutions guarantees that all of its products have met rigorous standards of purity, safety, and efficacy.
During the initial site analysis, our survey crew identifies a location along the coastline that is suitable for ShoreLock™ application. A trench is then cut into the sand and a precalculated concentration of ShoreLock™ is delivered into this trench. With the help of tidal changes and wave energy, ShoreLock™ is dispersed throughout the coastline. Once introduced onto the beach, ShoreLock™ mixes naturally with sand and begins the process of making sand hydrophillic. Specifically-targeted offshore applications are performed using a specifically engineered time-release form of ShoreLock™.
Using the data gathered by satellite imagery and remote sensing, our coastal engineers may at times decide to conduct offshore applications of ShoreLock™.
- Specific areas, such as erosion trenches, are identified and marked for these targeted applications.
- Concentrated amounts of a time-release form of ShoreLock™ are administered in these defined locations.
Shorelock Application Outline
Step 1. Site Evaluation
- Collection of sand and water samples (Munsell color)
- Water Quality Monitoring
- Baseline marine resource survey
- Dune vegetation survey
- Satellite imagery
- Baseline beach compaction studies
- Hydrographic survey
- Beach profiles
- Base maps and cross sections
Step 2. Product Preparation
- ShoreLock™ is shipped from our production facility and stored locally
- A mixing station is set up on-site and ShoreLock™ is mixed with seawater
Step 3. Application
- Calculated amounts of ShoreLock™ are applied to the beach at strategic locations for maximum displacement and effect.
- Analysis work is performed and followed with secondary and third applications of ShoreLock™ if needed until desired effect on the beach is reached.
The benefits of our unique approach to coastal remediation are presented below. For comparison purposes, we have highlighted the potential shortcomings of “conventional” renourishment practices. We acknowledge that not all conventional approaches are detrimental or ineffective and also recognize the utility of using our novel approach along with conventional methods to promote
a synergistic effect.
- The Hydros Coastal Solution – 100% Non Toxic. All of our products are considered USFDA GRAS (Generally Recognized as Safe).
- Conventional Approach – Dredging and dumping operations may bury benthic organisms under tons of foreign or dredged sand. Dredging operations may disrupt the sea floor by destroying the ecology, dislodging pollutants, and increasing turbidity in surrounding areas.
- The Hydros Coastal Solution – Our treated beaches have been shown to withstand
severe storm conditions and hurricane force winds.
- Conventional Approach – Newly nourished beaches are often not stable in storm conditions and typically erode as a result of significant storm activity.
- The Hydros Coastal Solution – Sustained through minor, cost-effective reapplications.
- Conventional Approach – Renourished beaches are left no more “stable” than they were prior to
sand application. Traditional renourishments are usually scheduled every 3-5 years.
- The Hydros Coastal Solution –Results within months without any significant
- Conventional Approach – Ranges from weeks to months to complete with significant beach closures and losses in revenue.
- The Hydros Coastal Solution – No permanent structures and limited use of heavy equipment.
- Conventional Approach – Typically involves structures (groins, breakwaters) and/or considerable use of heavy equipment, highly intrusive to the beach community
- The Hydros Coastal Solution – Ocean clarity increases next to the treated coastline
as turbidity decreases.
- Conventional Approach – Ocean floor disturbance dislodges silt and greatly increases turbidity for large areas surrounding a dredging operation. Silt poses a dangerous and sometimes toxic condition for surrounding ecosystems.
- The Hydros Coastal Solution – The long-term cost of our approach is significantly lower than traditional methods of beach renourishment because the effects of our treatment are long-lasting. Our maintenance packages provide the client with asset protection at a cost that is significantly lower than that associated with repeating conventional renourishment projects.
- Conventional Approach – In addition to substantially higher overall project costs, maintenance costs can be a significant additional expense.
- The Hydros Coastal Solution – Treated beaches exhibit clean, moist, fine sand particles. Beach levels rise, the high tide watermark is pushed seaward, offshore erosion trenches are filled, and water clarity improves.
- Conventional Approach – Conventional methods of beach renourishment are usually effective in the short term. However, the underlying environmental conditions that cause beach erosion are not addressed or corrected.
Safe for Turtles!
Below is a symbolic photo of baby loggerhead turtles we are very proud of, which was taken on a beach we completely restored at the 5-Star Grand Palladium Resort in Jamaica. When this beach was handed to us, it consisted entirely of construction debris and sand composed of grainy, dry, crushed limestone brought in by trucks. In just a few months after commencing with our restoration that included ShorelockTM Technology, the beach was covered with soft, moist, naturally accreted marine sand.
This is the first turtle nest ever documented on this shoreline, which definitely symbolizes a testament to our positive environmental impact !
Hydros Coastal Solutions, Inc. offers a unique, stable, ecologically friendly, non-intrusive, clean, and cost-effective solution to coastal erosion with results seen within weeks of application. Our innovative products offer long lasting value to the local community and ecology.
We look forward speaking with you directly regarding our approaches and options for working together and to introduce our new and innovative solutions to help restore the world’s coastlines.